top of page
  • Writer's pictureJoana Wheeler

How to get rid of the moisture in the walls so it never returns!

Mould is a fungus that spreads slowly throughout a home as long as there is moisture and little direct light. Because it makes people sick with rhinitis, sinusitis, allergic reactions, and even eczema, it must be removed!

We will learn how to remove mould from the walls and how to stop it from returning.

Mould and humidity: a deadly combination. If you are still perplexed as to why those dark splotches appeared on the walls, carry on reading!

The mould on the walls is actually a fungus that forms on surfaces and disperses via spores. There are constantly millions of these spores—small balls that resemble fungus seeds—in any indoor space because they are in the air, moved by the wind, and highly resistant to heat and cold. Unless they are in very high quantities and in the form of dust, it is impossible to perceive these spores with the human eye.

Although the fungus itself is typically not poisonous, its spores can result in the skin and respiratory conditions we discussed in the beginning of this article. In addition to harming one's health, mould also badly deteriorates the surfaces on which it is present. Over time, this growth eats away at the coatings on walls and ceilings, and if the structure is built of a sensitive material, it may even cause irreparable damage. The coatings usually become harmed, peeled, snapped, or at least discoloured. The extent of the damage and the difficulty of removal will increase the deeper the mould growth penetrates from the surface. And the smell is extremely unpleasant!

However, since we are already aware that mould spores are present everywhere, having mould in a home does not guarantee that they will be there. Additionally, there must be food, humidity, a comfortable temperature, and little direct sunlight. Mould is content with the raw materials used to construct our homes for nourishment. And the spaces within the house naturally get humid, and if the ventilation is poor, condensation will form on the surfaces. It is crucial and essential to open the windows as often as possible to aerate the spaces.

Since the walls, ceilings, and skirting boards are frequently cooler than the surrounding air, moisture tends to collect there and eventually infiltrate and drain, creating the ideal conditions for mould growth, especially in moister locations like the bathroom and kitchen.

How to clean

Cleaning is difficult, and you might not even be able to completely remove the mould, including its black stains.

Even though mould is not poisonous, it is advisable to do all cleaning tasks wearing a mask to prevent breathing in the spores that will release, preventing respiratory and skin allergies.

However, even natural detergents can be rather abrasive to the skin, thus it is strongly advised to use gloves.

Make sure your clothing is both adequate for covering your body and disposable because there is a good chance that cleaning agents will damage them.

The walls are tall, so a ladder could be necessary. But take great caution! Use a ladder with a secure, non-slipping closure.


Hypochlorite of sodium is the most popular. What is hypochlorite of sodium? Conventional bleach!

Mould is completely destroyed by the chlorine in bleach, including the spores. However, as we already know, it has a strong odour that a lot of people find intolerable, is irritating to the skin and airways, and ruins clothing where it gets on it. We suggest mixing half the bleach with half the water in a spray bottle before applying the solution directly to the surfaces while maintaining the aforementioned safety precautions. After about 10 minutes, rinse with a flat mop. On more delicate surfaces and on brightly coloured garments, discoloration can happen.

Fighting wall mould is another useful use of hydrogen peroxide, particularly in still-small areas. Use a cloth that has been dipped in hydrogen peroxide to thoroughly soak the mould. After 15 minutes, wait, brush the area, and thoroughly dry it.

Finally, there are many anti-mould formulations available on the market that we can test. Take note of the security precautions by reading the labels and following the instructions there.

Natural products

Baking soda is a chemical, of course, but it has been used for a very long time in the kitchen for things like keeping vegetable colours while cooking and as a rising agent when baking cakes. However, baking soda is a great ally in the battle against mould as well.

Apply a solution of three parts bicarbonate and one part water to minor stains and use a sponge to cover the mould stains completely. Allow to sit for at least an hour before washing thoroughly.

Use a cup of bicarbonate dissolved in a litre of hot water as detergent, saturating the stained surface. After two hours, carefully clean and dry the area.

Another non-toxic product that is sufficiently successful at removing the mould. Acetic acid is highly powerful as the active ingredient in the fight against the fungus; the only thing that works against it is the smell! When you spot a mould stain, immediately soak it in white wine vinegar or use a specific cleaner to prevent further staining. Even if you apply vinegar in every room of your house, the odour will linger for several days. This approach to eliminating mould is very good, very efficient, very affordable, and an environmentally safe choice. But take cautious, as the acid in vinegar damages stones like marble and limestone!

Lemon juice is a completely suitable substitute for vinegar in rooms and other small areas because it has a comparable effect while smelling much better.

Then paint

Often, a good paint job is the only option for stained walls. However, this must be done carefully because if the mould issue has not been adequately addressed beforehand.

Normal wall paint and plain paint are insufficient in humid environments. After eradicating all indications of mould, stopping the source of moisture, applying an antifungal primer, and cleaning the area thoroughly, only then should the final coat of paint be placed.

Do not hesitate to hire a professional if you are unsure of the treatment to be applied to your mould-covered walls!

The final solution

A last caution is necessary: washing and painting alone will not be enough to stop the mould growth on your walls. Dealing with the issues that lead to moisture condensation in your home and the subsequent growth of mould is crucial.

12 views0 comments
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page